TECHNICAL SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE – COATINGS at Chromaflo Technologies in Ashtabula, OH
Send ResumeSend Resume
Summary of Position:
This full-time position will provide direct technical support to our Coatings Business by:
- Interface directly and build relationships with customers to 1) define and convert opportunities or 2) to resolve customer complaints and issues, as assigned by the Technical Service Manager, Coatings in order to retain business.
- Design, plan and execute project elements in the laboratory, as well as in customers’ plants and laboratories, as appropriate, to meet customer requirements and expectations.
- Complete benchwork necessary to convert opportunities or to resolve issues.
- Provide effective and timely communication and recordkeeping at every stage of a project. This will include (but will not be limited to) progress reports, updates, call reports, laboratory notebook, and project milestones reached or missed.
- Comply fully with the Process Improvement Log, and Quality Management System, including resolution of customer complaints through Lean Six Sigma and other methodologies.
- BS/BA in an appropriate field of science (Chemist or Chem. Eng. preferred).
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt preferred, but not required.
- Ability and willingness to travel –– up to 30%, on short notice.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work with and support colleagues, analyze and solve problems, control resources and implement programs, and possess project management skills.
- Knowledge of critical chemical functionalities for coatings formulations including base resins, additives, and pigments for water-based, solvent-based, and 100 percent solids coatings systems.
- Nominal understanding of color science with experience in the area of dispersion wetting and additive activity.
- Excellent oral communication skills – capable of providing presentations.
- Excellent writing skills; able to write clear and concise reports.
- Understanding of Chromaflo products and customer processes.
- Knowledge of Coating’s process theory –– both Chromaflo’s and customer processes.
- Ability for autonomous, self-guided work.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Complies with safety rules and regulations, attends safety meetings and training, inspects work area for hazards/deficiencies and initiates action to correct them. Also, reports injury/illness and/or environmental incidents.
- Assure safe handling of products and electrical/mechanical devices in the field.
- Travel –– provide on-site customer support as deemed necessary by the Technical Service Manager, Coatings or Business Director, Coatings.
- Application of problem solving techniques in response to customer concerns and opportunities.
- Complete bench work required and defined by experimental design.
- Active support of, and participation in, all appropriate BMS and H, S & E aspects.
- Strong customer focus and attention to detail.
- Participate, when necessary, in the planning process, including fiscal year tactical plan, budgetary expenses, project objectives, timeliness, and guidelines for the development of technologies to address market specific needs.
- Establish safe chemical practices and procedures as it relates to the additives systems employed.
- Communicate technology in terms of features and benefits as they support project objectives.
- Prepare exhibits, specimens and presentation that illustrate key characteristics.
- Issue periodic reports on progress and activities of assigned programs. Also, requisition supplies for the timely and efficient operation of projects.
- Determine specification requirements for materials used in or result from research development.