Planning & Zoning Intern
The City of Conneaut is looking for a PT Summer Intern that is energetic and willing to learn and grow in a fun, fast paced environment. The successful candidate will assist the Planning & Zoning Department in administrative functions, collecting and preparing data, review of building plans and conduct field work as needed.
- Responds to requests from citizens and developers on planning and zoning issues.
- Assists in the review of building plans, zoning permit applications and development proposals to assure compliance with requirements.
- Assists planning staff in collecting and preparing data for various projects.
- Assists in research and analysis of the comprehensive plan.
- Conducts fieldwork, collects parcel data and searches land reports.
- Prepares maps and planning reports; produces sketches and renderings.
- Presents land use and zoning cases to elected and appointed officials.
- Conducts basic office functions as needed, such as data entry, file management, and customer service.
- Researches and compiles information on a variety of planning issues from multiple sources.
- Other essential job duties.
- Regular and timely work attendance.
- Follows rules & regulations
- Great Attitude
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of planning principles, practices, and techniques.
- Ability to research and conduct studies related to property uses.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of groups.
- Ability to work independently on tasks; follow through task completion.
- Ability to interpret and apply appropriate zoning ordinances, subdivision laws and regulations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with planning commission, developers, residents, community groups, and other employees.
- Proficiency with computer programs; word processing, spreadsheets, and presentation software
- Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, Architecture or related field or the ability to acquire one within 12 months.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree or enrolled in a Master’s Degree program in Urban Planning, Landscape Architecture, Public Administration, or related field.
- Municipal experience.
- Experience with GIS.
Operation of Telephone Daily
Computer Operation Daily
Requires Good Hearing Daily
Repetitive Movements Weekly/Monthly
Requires Good Vision Daily
Requires Fine Motor Skills Daily
Requires Near Vision Daily
Operating a Vehicle Weekly/Monthly
Standing or Walking Daily
Bending or Stooping Weekly/Monthly
Crouching or Kneeling Weekly/Monthly
Carrying Objects Weekly/Monthly
Lifting Objects Weekly/Monthly
Exposure to Temperature Extremes Occasionally
The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
interested candidates must complete the online application by June 1, 2018, to be considered for this position.
If you require assistance with the application process, please call (440) 593-7406 and ask for Janet Brown, Planning & Zoning Manager
The City of Conneaut is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Some college or better in Urban Planning or related field.
Bachelors or better in Urban Planning or related field.
Licenses & Certifications
Valid Driver’s License