Color Science Technician at Chromaflo Technologies in Ashtabula, OH
This full-time position, Color Science Technician, will be proficient in the completion of Color Science projects targeted around color formulary development that supports the current use of, or conversion to, our colorant products. This position would provide color work for colorant standards evaluation, competitive colorants, color matches, verification colors and base, pigment and colorant characterizations. In addition, this position will assist in global colorant standard supply, incoming and outgoing. External Color Science support may be required at a customer’s facility. This would be at the discretion of the Color Science Manager.
- BS/BA degree in a relevant science field or equivalent industry experience in coatings and color technology. BS/BA degree in Color Science, Physics, Math, ChE, or Chemistry preferred.
- 1 – 3 years industry experience in coatings in combination with color technology.
- Understanding of color theory, color measurement, color matching, and spectrophotometers.
- General understanding of pigment and carrier types / chemistries.
- Availability and willingness to travel –– occasionally, on short notice.
- Mathematical aptitude.
- Technical aptitude.
- Attention to detail.
- Basic computer skills: Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Adequate color discrimination skills per Farnsworth – Munsell 100 – Hue Test (will be evaluated).
- Possess communication skills to provide presentations and to write in a clear and concise manner.
- Have successfully worked in a close team environment.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Customer focused.
- Sense of urgency.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
- Works closely with the Color Science Manager and Color Scientists to assure developmental effectiveness.
- Provides support to Color Scientists, Technical Service Representatives and Technicians as required.
- Create and maintain color technology competencies in terms of instrumentation, electronic formulation tools, formularies and color measurements.
- Help to create and support color marketing electronic tools and practices to be utilized in the market as part of the process to create a competitive advantage.
- Completions of Color Service requests in accordance to the schedule providing notification if a delay is imminent.
- Direct customer contact to obtain information critical to project success.
- Develop a basic understanding of customer processes and raw materials. This is accomplished by customer visits and internal and external programs.
- Develops and maintains current knowledge of pigment types and resins / chemistries and their applications.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the Coating product lines and processes.
- Develops a thorough understanding of the color formulation and QC software programs.
- Develops proficiency in maintaining required record keeping including project entries and report generation as required.
- Develops proficiency for all associated computer-based data entry.
- Brings improvement suggestions to Color Scientists and the Color Science Manager.
- Maintains good housekeeping practices for assigned work area and all areas worked in.
- Complies with safety rules and regulations, attends safety meetings and training.
- Active support of, and participation in, all appropriate BMS and H, S & E aspects.